When we open the curtains in the morning before we go to work and close them when we come home, the thought of a week or two away, lazing on a beach in the warm winter sun is enough to start reaching for the computer to search out a winter sun deal on our website. But where can you head for guaranteed winter sun without breaking the bank? Whether you take a package holiday, or opt for a flight and accommodation, let us inspire you with our top 10 winter sun warmers.
1. The Canary Islands – With frequent flights from all over the UK, taking around four hours, Spain’s Canary Islands of Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and La Palma are a big draw year round. And in winter they come into their own. Great temperatures and a wide range of accommodation options offer a no-nonsense holiday to top up your tan without emptying your pocket.
2. The Middle East – From the Red Sea for beaches and snorkelling, to Cairo for Pyramids and museums and Luxor or Aswan on the Nile for lying back around the pool of your hotel and spending time exploring ancient temples. Egypt is a great value holiday destination reached in less than five hours from the UK and with guaranteed sun all winter long. Or fly into Dubai and stay in one of the many luxury hotels on the Arabian Seashore. Abu Dhabi is up and coming, along with Oman for high quality at affordable prices.
3. Morocco and Tunisia – With low cost flights to destinations such as Agadir and Marrakech, Morocco is becoming very accessible from the UK. Offering a mix of African cultures with European influences, the beach resorts are well served by modern hotel chains and you can explore markets and the stunning scenery of the Atlas Mountains all just a stones throw from your sun lounger. And Tunisia offers desert safaris, mile after mile of sandy beaches and value for money hotels for a winter break.
4. South Africa – It may be a twelve hour flight from the UK, but there’s no jet lag to speak of, and a week in Africa’s most southerly country will almost certainly give you sunny days with warm temperatures. Head to Cape Town for a wide range of beaches and hotels as well as the opportunity for some wine tasting, great food and even to see the penguins at nearby Boulders. Or fly east to Durban for Indian Ocean beaches, wildlife and the Drakensburg Mountains.
5. The Maldives – A series of archipelagos and coral reefs make up the Indian Ocean islands of the Maldives. Direct flights from the UK will fly you into a tropical style paradise where your only distractions will be what to have for your next drink. An ideal location for snorkelling and diving holidays, many hotels are located on individual islands and offer winter-long hot temperatures.
6. Goa – A part of India which is forever Portuguese and packed with history. The many beaches of this relaxed paradise on India’s western coast are now geared to sun loving tourists from around the world. Palm fringed beaches lead to hillside retreats and villages. The action is spent in the regions’ hotels with many offering a full range of activities and entertainment for holiday makers. Whether you’re looking for a great package deal or a cheap flight to India, ensure you compare prices before you travel.
7. Australia – When its winter in the UK it is summer time in Australia. Travelling Down Under will certainly give you plenty of winter sun with hot temperatures in all regions from Perth to Cairns and Darwin to Melbourne and you don’t have to be a celebrity to get out of the UK. The beaches of the Gold Coast attract those looking for a more traditional holiday style entertainment. Further north you can stay along the Great Barrier Reef on one of the many beaches and islands, great for snorkelling and diving.
8. The Caribbean – With so many options to choose from, you can keep going back every year to visit before returning to the same place Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Martinique, Aruba and the Bahamas are only the start. With warm waters on the Caribbean sides of the islands and lots of sandy beaches, the Caribbean never fails. Hotel standards are high and you can even take the option of a cruise to see even more islands in one trip.
9. Florida – Florida enjoys an excellent winter climate and the beach resorts of the Gulf of Mexico offer a real chance to get away from it all on a winter break in the sun. St Petersburg, Clearwater, Naples, Marco Island and Captiva Island all offer great beaches along the warm coastline and a wide range of accommodation from luxury hotels to villas and apartments. Alternatively you can stay in the Miami area or drive down to the Florida Keys.
10. Thailand – A long term favourite with Brits, Thailand offers high levels of hospitality, palm lined beaches, fabulous food and excellent hot weather through our winter months. There are a wide range of resorts to choose from including the island of Phuket, Koh Samui, Krabi and the ever popular Pattaya. The west coast is great for snorkelling around the Phi Phi islands and you can choose from top end luxury hotels through to mid standard value for money accommodation.